Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Reading???

Reading??
What are you currently reading?


I like to re-post this blog from time to time to find out what my readers are reading...Much of my "pleasure reading" takes place at home after the work day. So what are you currently reading (outside the Bible)? How have you enjoyed those books? What did you learn? etc. Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations!

Books I am currently reading or ones I recently finished:

1. No Place for the Truth (by David F. Wells). (Done)
2. The Cross and Christian Ministry (by D.A. Carson). (Done)
3. Women's Ministry in the Local Church (by Ligon Duncan/Susan Hunt) (Done)
4. Knowing God (By J.I. Packer) (Ch 19)
5. The Holiness of God (by R.C. Sproul) (Done)
6. Growing Up Christian (by Paul Graustein) (CH 11)

7. Humility: True Greatness (by C.J. Mahaney) (CH 9)
8. From Pride to Humility (pamphlet by Dr. Stuart Scott) (done)
9. The Message of the Old Testament (by Mark Dever) (not much progress yet)
10. Biblical Eldership (by A. Strauch) (rereading; currently on CH 2)
11. How America Lost Her Innocence (By Steve Gallagher) (CH 4)
12. Numerous Jude commentaries (check out the new Pillar commentary)
13. Expository Preaching With Word Pictures: With Illustrations from the Sermons of Thomas Watson (by Jack Hughes)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading:

JC Ryle's "Holiness"

John C. Abbott's "The Mother at Home."

Arnold Dallimore's "Susana Wesley" biography.

3 good books.

Love your wife, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Phil Johnson is reading
Walking with the Giants, by Warren Wiersbe and Robert Lewis Dabney: A Southern Presbyterian Life, by Sean Michael Lucas.

Anonymous said...

i'm reading 'the shaping of a christian family' by elisabeth elliot (awesome book), 2 pregnancy books, 'a severe mercy' by sheldon vanauken, and plan on starting 'the screwtape letters' by c.s. lewis soon.

- laura

Anonymous said...

From my other blog Pastor Matt Waymeyer said he is reading the following:

I am currently reading Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chapell (on my list ever since I had the opportunity to meet Chapell and hear him teach on preaching three years ago); The Doctrine of Infant Baptism by Pierre Marcel (the best argument I’ve ever read for paedobaptism, but I remain entirely unconvinced); Getting Things Done by David Allen (so Paul Lamey will continue to think of me as the cutting-edge guy that I am); and Sinners in the Hands of a Good God by David Clotfelter (an excellent read on a difficult subject). I also just read a journal article by Thomas Schreiner: “Does Romans 9 Teach Individual Election unto Salvation?” (JETS 36, 1 [March 1993]: 25-40). For “fun” reading, last week on family vacation I read Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln’s Killer by James L. Swanson and Greatness: Reagan, Churchill and the Making of Extraordinary Readers by Steven Hayward. I love history, and I’m an incurable Ronald Reagan fan.

http://expositorythoughts.wordpress.com/

Connie said...

I'm reading:

When Life and Beliefs Collide - Carolyn Custis James

The Rough Guide to Blogging - Jonathan Yang

Women Helping Women - Elys Fitzpatrick & Carol Cornish

Humility - C.J. Mahaney

Concise Theology - J.I. Packer

And I recently composed an enormous list of books I "hope" to read soon--so many books, so little time! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Caleb,

Here are a few good book options for females:

1.) Idols of the Heart by Elise Fitzpatrick

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Idols-Heart-Learning-Long-Alone/dp/0875521983/sr=8-1/qid=1163704465/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1985366-8721537?ie=UTF8&s=books

2.) Girl Talk by Carolyn Mahaney

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Talk-Mother-Daughter-Conversations-Womanhood/dp/1581345100/sr=8-4/qid=1163704565/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/104-1985366-8721537?ie=UTF8&s=books

3.) Passion & Purity by Elisabeth Elliot

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Purity-Learning-Christs-Control/dp/0800758188/sr=1-9/qid=1163704651/ref=sr_1_9/104-1985366-8721537?ie=UTF8&s=books


Though these are not gender specific, some other helpful books for growing in faith:

4.) The Enemy Within by Kris Lundgaard

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Within-Straight-About-Defeat/dp/0875522017/sr=1-1/qid=1163705268/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1985366-8721537?ie=UTF8&s=books

5.) The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Holiness-Jerry-Bridges/dp/157683932X/sr=1-1/qid=1163705321/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1985366-8721537?ie=UTF8&s=books

I hope those are helpful suggestions.