Monday, August 07, 2006

Humility (part 3)

Being a faithful pastor requires many different skills (see 1 and 2 Timothy). Feeding the sheep through the ministry of the Word is obviously a very essential aspect of pastoral ministry. Discipleship and counseling are essential ministries that go along with this “Word ministry.”

I had the privilege of counseling a couple the past 3 or 4 months through our FBC counseling ministries. For obvious reasons I am not going to share any of the private counseling details with any of you; but suffice to say my experience was pure joy. The couple (I had the privilege of meeting with) were my parent’s age and they taught me so very much. Their willingness to receive God’s Word and act on it (even if the mouth piece was half their age) was a demonstration of tremendous humility (see James 1:21-24). They were so eager to respond to the Word that it brought about conviction in my own heart. Do I always respond this way to God’s Word? Am I willing to respond to the Bible even if the person sharing it with me is younger than I am or not as spiritually mature? If they are faithfully representing GOD's Word then i have no choice but to respond humbly. These are great lessons for me to think about in light of my “humility” book reading.

No comments: