Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Discouragement and Being Overly-Critical (part 2)

An excellent section I read in C.J. Mahaney’s newest book, “Humility: True Greatness” is a great follow up to my last post.
He writes, “Are you frequently critical of others? Do you look at those around you to find one blemish after another? This proud tendency is a deeply rooted habit of many of us who have sown seeds of self-exaltation over the years.”

Mahaney then suggests how we can cultivate biblical humility by “identifying evidences of grace in other people. This means actively looking for ways that God is at work in the lives of other people; pp 97-98).

As Christians, we should be people known for encouragement not discouragement. When I am not cultivating humility in my heart I can find weaknesses in peoples lives more often then evidences of grace. When my daughter grows older I don’t want her to think of me as “Mr. Negative” or “Mr. Critical.” Forgive me everyone because I know I need to grow in this area.

It’s so easy to find fault in others, to not believe the best about them, to be critical and discouraging. I am grateful for this book by Mahaney that has been convicting the socks of me. Now the hard part: mortification and sanctification!

2 comments:

Caleb Kolstad said...

Sister,

I'm thinking about using this book in one of my Sunday School classes. It is very applicable.

When do you leave for TMC?

Caleb

Caleb Kolstad said...

S-

I recieved your reply but could not find where you posted it? Oh wait, here it is. :)

Anyways, i am glad you guys are getting plugged in at Corona...Also very pleased to hear about seminary. May the Lord give Brandon the strength to excel in his studies and ministry!

It has been my perspective that your friend Riley is more interested in this type of thing and I was obv. concerned about that influence. His connections to men like N.T. Wright, Brian McClaren, and Dallas Willard (to name a few) is frightening to me. The EC is obv. interested in eastern mysticism among other things...

My prayer is that God gives you wisdom to steer clear of these theological aberrations esp. since their are so many of them these days.

My post on humility still stands. I need to be careful not to be overly-critical in all facets of life. Sometimes i dont find that perfect balance!

At the same time, being humble does not eliminate the mandate to be discerning (even sometimes calling people out as Paul did in Galatians, Philippians, etc). In my opinion theological error must be identified and destroyed (Jude 3-4, Titus 1:9-11; 2 Timothy 2:24-25; 1 Thessalonians 2:7; James 3:17; Titus 3:2; 1 Peter 3:8-9).


Grace and peace, CK