Thursday, November 29, 2007

What's in the name?






Here are some of the reasons why we named our son Jude MacArthur Kolstad:

1. We liked the names. Let’s not get over-spiritual here.

2. When I get the chance to fill our Senior Pastor’s pulpit (Joe Flatt) I have been preaching through the book of Jude (see http://www.fbccarmel.com/). This Sunday will be my 11th sermon from this much neglected epistle. This book has been my companion for 2+ years now. It is a wonderful book written by the half brother of Jesus, Jude. It’s a great name with an even better message.

3. Pastor John MacArthur has had a major spiritual influence in my life and in my wife’s life. He has also had a big role in the spiritual development of my parents and in some measure in Andrea’s parents lives as well. People who love the truth love those who bring it faithfully.

4. Pastor MacArthur was my teaching pastor for 12+ years. I was apart of Grace Community Churches children’s ministries, teen ministries, college ministries, singles ministries, and there adult ministries. MacArthur taught me how to handle the Bible before I ever went to Bible college or seminary. In my estimation, he is the finest Bible expositor I have ever learned from. Al Mohler recently said, that "John MacArthur + Bible ='s expository preaching." You can make that determination for yourself at http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/grace_to_you/

5. Like the good Dr. (Martyn Lloyd-Jones), Pastor John MacArthur has been greatly used by God in his defense and proclamation of the truth. There is nothing more important in this life then the non-negotiable body of objective truth that makes up the Christian gospel. Jude 3 calls on all of us to “Contend earnestly for the faith.” John MacArthur has been exemplary in his efforts to protect, preserve, and proclaim the Word of God; and when the Word of God is faithfully preached Jesus Christ is glorified!

6. Two of the Pastors that John mentored (Jerry Wragg and Carey Hardy) discipled me. John’s ministry fingerprints were on those men and thus indirectly on me as well. My interaction with John has been predominately through letters. Since the 6th grade has always been faithful to reply to my notes.

7. Andrea and I both attended the Master’s College and I attended the Master’s Seminary. John MacArthur is the President of these Christian institutions. God used TMC and TMS to shape and mold both of our lives and ministries.

8. John MacArthur is a living hero of mine and thus the middle name is appropriate for our beloved first born son.

9. Jude's last name (Kolstad) is also rich with tradition. My parents Kent and Marie have left a wonderful legacy for their 4 children and 3 grandchildren.


Our prayer is that God saves Jude at an early age and that He will use him as He sees fit. We are thankful for this wonderful gift from God.

3 comments:

Rachel Miller said...

What a beautiful, chubby baby!! Thanks for the another pic to drool over!

Caleb Kolstad said...

Thanks Yost!

Caleb Kolstad said...

Thanks Yost!