Thursday, December 06, 2007

Would you vote for a Mormon President?

Mitt Romney made a broad appeal to voters in his speech on faith and politics Thursday, pledging to serve no one religion if he is elected, while at the same time stressing the importance of religious liberty and defending his right to worship as a Mormon.

Romney made the speech in an attempt to answer skepticism about his religion. But he only made brief specific references to Mormonism, underscoring instead what he called the "common creed of moral convictions” shared by Americans and the value of the nation's "symphony of faith."

“Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom,” Romney said. “Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone.”

As John F. Kennedy did 47 years ago in a speech answering questions about his Catholic faith, Romney insisted that his religion would not dictate his duties in office if elected president. Romney referenced Kennedy in his opening lines.

"I do not define my candidacy by my religion. A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith ... I will put no doctrine of any church above the plain duties of the office and the sovereign authority of the law," Romney said. " If I am fortunate enough to become your president, I will serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause, and no one interest ... A president must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States.”

For full story go to http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315486,00.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does not sound like this guy has submitted himself to the Lordship of Christ?

Tacosix said...

IF he is a true Mormon, then no he hasn't.

I have voted for other non-Christian presidents. So while I din't particularly like a Mormon running for office, I can't say I would not vote for him if he had the right program.

My preference is Mike Huckabee at this point. Actually I like Alan Keyes, but he isn't running. ;-)

Caleb Kolstad said...

Mark,

Mormons are obviously not true disciples of Jesus Christ (the Savior and 2nd member of the Godhead).

I would vote for Mit over Hillary but that is probably not saying much is it?

I honestly don't know much about Huckabee. I figure Rudy G will be the Republican that faces Hillary in the next election

Caleb