Monday, June 18, 2007

July 07 Book Report: What are YOU Reading?

Reading Report

Accountability time for all! I have been doing ok the past couple months. Of course, I'm the first to admit i watch too much TV and don't read enough... May God give us all more discipline this summer for His glory!

Let me suggest to you a book that i just finished reading today. It is titled "Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God's Grace." The book is written by many different authors. I really enjoyed the chapters by Burk Parsons, Al Mohler, J MacArthur, and Jerry Bridges. If you know anyone struggling w/the topic of Biblical assurance of salvation this is a GREAT read. Check out prpbooks.com

Also check out my July book reviews of Spurgeon vs. Hyper-Calvinism: the Battle for Gospel Preaching & The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World.

So here is the latest update of the stuff i am trying to read outside of Scripture... What have you guys been reading?

Books I am currently reading:
Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth (Wayne Grudem)
Girl Talk (By Carolyn Mahaney)
Christian Living Beyond Belief (Cliff McManis)
The Message of the O.T. (by Mark Dever)
What Jesus Demands from the World (by John Piper)
Institutes of the Christian Religion, Vol. 1 (John Calvin) (Book 1, Ch 17)
Numerous Jude commentaries (for sermon preperation/various authors)


Books I’ve finished in the last year or so:
The Reformation (Stephen J. Nichols)
Spurgeon VS Hyper-Calvinism (Iain Murray)
A Scottish Christian Heritage (Iain Murray)
Meetings that Work (A Strauch)
The Truth War (By John MacArthur)
No Place for the Truth (by David F. Wells).
The Cross and Christian Ministry (D.A. Carson).
Women's Ministry in the Local Church (Ligon Duncan/Susan Hunt)
The Holiness of God (by R.C. Sproul)
Growing Up Christian (by Paul Graustein)
How America Lost Her Innocence (By Steve Gallagher)
From Pride to Humility (pamphlet by Dr. Stuart Scott)
Humility: True Greatness (by C.J. Mahaney)
Biblical Eldership (by A. Strauch)
Expository Preaching With Word Pictures (Jack Hughes)
The Reformed Pastor (by Richard Baxter)
Legacy of Sovereign Joy (by John Piper)
Whose Money Is It Anyways (By John MacArthur)
The Treasure Principle (by Randy Alcorn)
Baptist Life and Thought (By William Brackney) I read large sections of this book.
By His Grace and For His Glory (Dr. Nettles) I read portions of this book
Knowing God (J.I. Packer) Through ch 19

2 comments:

Tacosix said...

Reading seems to come hard by these days of working in the country.

I am about 1/3 of the way through "Desiring God" by Piper. I am not sure I like it...he seems to use the term "Christian Hedonist" in about every paragraph. I need to get past this and keep reading.

I also started reading "Created to work" (I forget the author) from Vision Forum Ministries. Good book about work being a blessing.

That is about it...I know I am a slacker. I am also going through some DVD's on horse training. You should be able to call me the horse whisperer soon... ;-)

Caleb Kolstad said...

Thanks Mark!

It was great seeing Joe and Carter last week at VBS.

Blessings to you all
Caleb