Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What are you reading???

I just recieved MacArthur's latest book (The Truth War) and it has been really, really good thus far. I think it may be one of his best works yet (we'll see). I read a few books on finances/stewardship matters for our SYM Sunday School class. I also read through large portions of books on Baptist History for a project I'm doing for Pastor Flatt.

So here is the latest update of the stuff i am trying to read outside of Scripture... What have you guys been reading?


Books I am currently reading:

The Truth War (By John MacArthur)
The Message of the O.T. (by Mark Dever)
Knowing God (By JI Packer) (Ch 19)
What Jesus Demands from the World (by John Piper)
Institutes of the Christian Religion, Vol. 1 (by John Calvin) (Book 1, Ch 6)
Numerous Jude commentaries (for sermon preperation)

Books I’ve finished in the last year or so:

No Place for the Truth (by David F. Wells).
The Cross and Christian Ministry (by D.A. Carson).
Women's Ministry in the Local Church (by Ligon Duncan/Susan Hunt)
The Holiness of God (by R.C. Sproul)
Growing Up Christian (by Paul Graustein)
How America Lost Her Innocence (By Steve Gallagher)
From Pride to Humility (pamphlet by Dr. Stuart Scott)
Humility: True Greatness (by C.J. Mahaney)
Biblical Eldership (by A. Strauch)
Expository Preaching With Word Pictures: With Illustrations from the Sermons of Thomas Watson (by Dr. Jack Hughes).
The Reformed Pastor (by Richard Baxter)
Legacy of Sovereign Joy (by John Piper)
Whose Money Is It Anyways (By John MacArthur)
The Treasure Principle (by Randy Alcorn)
Baptist Life and Thought (By William Brackney) I read large sections of this book.
By His Grace and For His Glory (Dr. Nettles) I read portions of this book.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am supposed to be receiving the truth war, but haven't yet. if we don't get one, can we borrow yours when you're finished?

-laura

Caleb Kolstad said...

Laura,

This book is basically a culture-like analysis through the book of Jude. Of course i love MacArthur's passion for the truth and i love the book of JUDE. ;)

Grace Books International is offering MacArthur's book for 10 bucks right now. If you dont buy one you can borrow mine when i finish it.

In Christ alone,
Caleb

Tacosix said...

Mine is on the way...can't wait to dive in.

I pray all else is going well.

I am just about finished with Tozer's "The pursuit of God". It has shaken loose some cob webs and caused me to study more.

Grace...MT

Ordinary Pastor said...

Caleb,

To answer your question, I'm currently reading Spurgeon's Lectures to My Students, Augustine's Confessions, Piper's When I Don't Desire God, and Book 1 of Calvin's Institutes.

In the past few months I've read Ed Welch's When People Are Big and God is Small, David Wells' Above All Earthly Pow'rs, Reclaiming the Center and Mahaney's The Cross-Centered Life.

Take care,

Jon Benzinger

Ordinary Pastor said...

Caleb,

Sorry, I just remembered that I also read Pearcey's Total Truth, Shelley's Church History in Plain Language, and Lundgaard's The Enemy Within, Ryle's Five English Reformers.

I also wanted you to know that I highly recommend each of these wonderful books.

Jon

Caleb Kolstad said...

Jon B,

Thanks for sharing your reading list.

How did you like David Wells' Above All Earthly Pow'rs, Reclaiming the Center?

Was it like his other books (in style)?

Caleb

Ordinary Pastor said...

Caleb,

I really liked both Above All Earthly Pow'rs and Reclaiming the Center.

If I have to choose, I think I liked Wells' book better, but these are really two different books as Wells criticizes PoMo sociologically while Reclaiming deals with it philosophically.

Also, I cannot answer your second question because I haven't read any of Wells' other books yet, but after AAEP I plan on doing so soon.

Jon