Friday, December 08, 2006

Humility: True Greatness (pt 2)

Let’s begin this next section by asking ourselves a few questions: What often comes to our minds when we wake up in the morning? What are your first thoughts each morning? (What do I need to accomplish today? Is the coffee ready? Are any kids up? Can I snooze one more time? Am I late for work?)

Mahaney wisely suggests that we should begin our day (#2) by acknowledging our need for God. Why do you think this would be a good discipline to implement? Because this attitude expresses our utter dependency on God, our total need for God; our confidence in Him, etc.

Ponder a moment this powerful quote, “Sin, including especially the sin of pride- is active, not passive. Sin doesn’t wake up tired, because it hasn’t been sleeping. When you wake up in the morning, sin is right there, fully awake, ready to attack.” This reminds me of Genesis 4:7, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it."

We need to go on the offensive in our efforts to mortify sin. The best offense is often a good defense and the best defense is often a good offence. Most NFL teams that want to stop the Indianapolis Colts high-powered offense seek to keep their defense on the field as long as they can (and w/the Colts run defense that is not too hard). My point is that we need to be PRO-active not passive in the Christian life. We need to think about our thoughts (as my wife often says).

We set the right tone for the day by mentally affirming our dependence on God! Begin each morning in prayer: “Lord I need you. Apart from you I can do no good thing. I am a sinner saved by grace and I need your sanctifying grace to work in and through me this day. Help me to mindful of you and your Word this day. I pray that you would be my first and last thought of every day.” Thus Mahaney suggests that we should begin each day “Reflecting on the wonders of the cross as well as acknowledging our need for God.”

No comments: