Thursday, December 28, 2006

Book Review

If you've noticed i post this blog once a month. Why you may ask? For one, it helps get me accountable. I am always convicted on how little I read (good books). Men like AL Mohler read 25 books a month. Christian Bloggers like Tim Challies reviews one book a week. Don't think for a moment that this book review blog boosts my ego. I know many many men who are much more disciplined then I.

I recently finished Biblical Eldership (my second time through); this is a good book if you want to know God's qualifications for church leaders/officers. The Reformed Pastor (by Baxter) has been one wonderful book. If you are a church leader i think this is a must read book. Baxter is very practical as well as Biblical in his presentation. What does it mean to be a faithful elder/pastor? Baxter answers this question in this wonderful book.So here is the latest update. I always enjoy hearing what you are reading so please post as well.

Books I am currently reading or ones I finished in the last year or so:

1. No Place for the Truth (by David F. Wells). (Done)
2. The Cross and Christian Ministry (by D.A. Carson). (Done)
3. Women's Ministry in the Local Church (by Ligon Duncan/Susan Hunt) (Done)
4. Knowing God (By J.I. Packer) (Ch 19)
5. The Holiness of God (by R.C. Sproul) (Done)
6. Growing Up Christian (by Paul Graustein) (Done)
7. How America Lost Her Innocence (By Steve Gallagher) (Done)
8. From Pride to Humility (pamphlet by Dr. Stuart Scott) (Done)
9. Humility: True Greatness (by C.J. Mahaney) (CH 9)
10. The Message of the Old Testament (by Mark Dever) (not much progress yet)
11. Biblical Eldership (by A. Strauch) (Done)
12. Numerous Jude commentaries
13. Expository Preaching With Word Pictures: With Illustrations from the Sermons of Thomas Watson (by Jack Hughes) (Ch 3)
14. The Reformed Pastor (by Richard Baxter) (Ch 3 sect 1)
15. What Jesus Demands from the World (by John Piper) (just started)
16. Institutes of the Christian Religion, Vol. 1(by John Calvin) (just started)

2 comments:

Caleb Kolstad said...

MT,

Great thoughts and i appreciate your posts...

Remind me to get you a copy of Stuart Scott's booklet (no problem).

The Puritans are wonderful. I am currently reading Baxter's "the Reformed Pastor." My favorite Puritan is Thomas Watson. I would suggest you start with him since he is VERY easy to read. John Owen is very deep but not easy to read. I think you would like the doctrine of repentance or all things for good by T Watson. Both are gems.

It is often very difficult to balance reading the Word and trying to keep up reading good theological books. Sometimes i make the mistake of reading other things (good things) and neglect the study of the Word. Whenever i do this i know i am sinning. Those books are tools but they are not the pure milk (1 Peter 2:2).

My sermon preperation is something i TRY and keep devotional. I need to study and preach to my own heart first. This is pretty standard preaching advice: Before you preach to others, you better preach to own heart and life first.

If you have a reading list that includes only the Holy Scriptures that is not a bad thing. Other works can be very helpful in pointing us to Christ and in explaining the Scriptures (but they are not God's pure and undefiled Word).

My personal Bible study time varies from week to week. I have the great privilidge of having a job/ministry where i can study the Word during some of my actual work hours. My current position requires i spend alot of time doing admin. work and management/oversight so i try and find time at night (before bed) to study and/or read.

Hope this helps-
CK

Anonymous said...

hey Caleb...I just had a book sale with all of the theology books you have given me over the years. Bekah was my top buyer!! Just Kidding!!! I started reading the Holiness of God yesterday and it has been awesome so far. Anyway...I'll talk to you later, cant wait for your next NFL post.

Jordan