Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Purpose of Pain

One of my favorite John MacArthur sermons is from 2 Cor 12 (Paul's thorn in the flesh). The sermon is called "The Purpose of Pain."

In this sermon MacArthur notes, In the deepest pains we learn life's greatest lessons; And the deepest pains in life normally come from those we're closest too. The closer we get to someone the more we typically open up to them and thus the more we arm them with the arsenal to unleash the deepest pains.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10, So to keep me from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

No comments: