Monday, October 15, 2007

Yes, I Died Twice Yesterday

Mark and Joe want me to weigh in on my Chicago Bears. If you watched yesterdays game you probably observed a few things. Griese is a good back up and an average or below average starter in this league. His arm strength on outs is just not very good. QB is the most important position in the game. Is it any surprise that New England (Brady), Indy (Manning), Dallas (Romo), and G.B. (Favre) are the best teams in the league right now? Football is a team sport but you need a good QB and a good coach to succeed. Griese won’t lose many games but he can’t win many games for you either. The Bear’s need a QB who can win a game for them…

The Bear’s D has way too many injuries to overcome with our backups playing the way they’re playing. The D has been a big disappointment this year. We really miss the presence of Pro-Bowl FS Mike Brown. Adam Archuleta can’t cover anyone and with a broken hand can’t even tackle.

Sunday’s loss was liking dying twice. I had accepted the loss after Peterson rushed for 240 yards and his 2nd touchdown of the game (putting us down by 14). Then I turn back 3 minutes later and the Bear’s are down 7…so I decide to finish the game out. Next thing you know they shut down the Vikes from their own 40 and then connect with Hester (the best special teams player in the history of the game) for 81 yards (to tie the game). I was thinking at this point maybe we’ll actually sneak this one out (like Detroit did to us a couple weeks ago). But then Peterson returns a kick 60 some yards and Longwell kicks a career long (55 yard field goal) to send us back to the bottom of the NFC North. Yes, it was the sports equivalent of dying twice. I need to go visit my sports psychologist for my sports related depression now. This season is really close to being a total wash. If we don’t win 3 or 4 in a row we’ll be draft watching. It’s sad times for Bear’s fans around the country. The only solace i have right now is that perhaps this season doesn't even matter...Look at the way New England has been dominating people? If they stay healthy it does not appear they can lose a game. They can play average and beat most teams by 20 points. That is not good news for Colts fans and NFL fans around the league! Go Bears!

2 comments:

Tacosix said...

Well, dying twice is a little harsh (or melodramatic), whichever is your cup o tea.

The Bears need to go back to Orton...the guy has what it takes. He survived the Big 10 with flying colors and even took Chicago on a ride until they had to go with their "main QB". Doesn't make any sense to me at all. I predict Orton will come in and win most of the games he plays out.

Now, let's talk NE since you seem to jump on that bandwagon whenever "your" team is in a slump.

NE hasn't played a team that has a winning record until Dallas, and of course Dallas is in the NFC (No Football Contest league...hey I remember when the AFC was inferior). So scoring 34-48 points on everyone this far is almost a joke...Brady even said it doesn't matter until the playoffs...well duh. He doesn't play anyone hardly until the playoffs. Let's count who NE has played thus far:

Jets are 1-5
Chargers are 3-3 (just barely)
Bills are 1-4
Bengals are 1-4
Browns are 3-3 (a surprise)
Combined before Cowboys: 9-19

...and they play out with:

Dolphins twice, Bills and Jets one more time. The toughest NE has in front of them are Colts, Ravens (maybe) and Steelers.

In other words, NE has the Chicago schedule of last year...not many tests until the playoffs. So Brady is not necessarily brilliant (which I believe he is more calm under pressure and can think than brilliant) as much as he is observant.

Now to reality...I'll be honest (as I am a Christian)...I am scared to death of the Colts-NE game. I get to go to this game with my brother and will be sick until the final bell.

If the Colt's D is healthy, it could be very interesting because NE's running game has been hurt and they have had to rely on their pass, which Indy is better at defending with the small, quick D.

All in all, Nov 4th should be interesting. If the Pats beat the Colts, I would say there is a pretty good chance they will win the SB. There have been teams anointed in the past that have been as good as the Pats, so nothing isa shoe in.

Blessings,

MT

Caleb Kolstad said...

Melodramatic, yes.

Orton is horrible. I would take Rex anyday over that guy. When he started he won alot of games because he handed the ball off and did not throw interceptions. The Bears O and D is not that great anymore to carry a 3rd string QB.

I am not the NE bandwagon. You know of my appreciation for Brady. He is the league MVP right now by a long stretch. I do hope he brakes Mannings TD record. That would be cool. We have already had this debate over what QB would you want starting for you in a playoff game....I'm a Brady guy and you're a Manning guy. Until last season Manning proved he could nto win the big game. Brady is a winner through and through.

I actually would prefer to see S.D. win the Championship this season if Chicago can't. I don't want Dallas to win it or Indy or Pitts...

Don't underestimate the Pats this season. They are scary good!!!