Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A God-centered Approach to Money and Finances: Pt II

If you like putting things into simple categories what we’re talking about is:
1. Making money
2. Managing money
3. Saving money
4. Giving money.

The Bible is very clear on this point: Money is morally neutral. Having money is NOT a sin but the love of money most definitely is! Notice what 1 Timothy 6:9-10 says, 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.


So what are some red flags regarding the "love of money" (sinful desires)?

A. When you’re bent on making money any way you possibly can. (cheat, lie, steal, manipulate, sacrifice your marriage or your kids, etc).

B. If you never think you have enough, then you probably love money.

C. People who love money usually love to flaunt it.

Showing off their "bling bling."
Everything in their house is over the top.
Everything in their wardrobe is over the top and they have way too much of everything.
They brag about their vacations.
Their kids and even their pets are spoiled rotten.

D. Lovers of money usually hate to give it to others.

Because life is really all about them and if they do give, it’s still about them. (“Look how much I donated to such and such or to so and so…” “Please don’t applaud, no really, please don’t (wink, wink).”

->Money, in and of itself, does not corrupt. The real problem is our sinful hearts!! The world, the devil, and our own sinful flesh want us to spend all of our money, to selfishly hoard things, so we have none left for God’s purposes.

Many, many Christians struggle with divine contentment. What do you suppose are some of the potential manifestations of a discontented person? One possible answer is “Debt”: Because they are never content. Debt can lead to bankruptcy—

One pastor added the following insight, “All believers, not just pastors, need to realize it’s not a question of how much money you have; it’s a question of where your heart is and what you DO with what you have.”

All of us need to examine our own lives and hearts during this series. What is my attitude towards luxuries and necessities? Let's learn from this wise mans prayer in Proverbs 30:8-9 8 Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, 9 lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God. Faith in God is central to the entire Christian life. The righteous walk by faith (2 Cor 5:7). Is your hope and confidence and trust IN GOD or is it in your wealth or in your circumstances? How does God test us in this area? (One answer: With Trials! Note James 1 & Hebrew 12).

Money is a very uncertain and unpredictable commodity in your life. Just when you think you can count on it, it’s gone. (E.G.) After the booming 20’s America experienced the great stock market crash and the great depression era.

That is why we must find our true satisfaction in God & in Christ alone. C.S. Lewis put it this way; “We are halfhearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at sea. We are far too easily pleased.” Augustine was spot on, “Our hearts are restless until we find our rest in Thee.” Psalm 37:4, Delight yourself in GOD! Christians live to glorify and know God. We should enjoy this relationship more than anything else.

One sign of a healthy Christian is an attitude of contentment no matter what’s going on in his/her life! We find an amazing example of this in Philippians 4. Paul writes in vv 10-14, I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble.

If you want to have “a God-centered approach to money and finances” as a Christian you need to learn the secret of contentment.

This passage (vv.10-19) expresses Paul’s gratitude for the generous gift received at the hands of Epaphroditus (note vv. 18-19). Remember now, Paul is prison when he writes this letter! He was probably chained to a Roman soldier…F. B. Meyer explains, "Deprived of every comfort and cast as a lonely man on the shores of the great strange metropolis with every movement of his hand clanking a fetter and nothing before him but the lion's mouth or the sword."

Humanly speaking Paul’s circumstances were really messed up! He faithfully served God, yet his life was one giant trial after another. 2 Corinthians 11:24-28, Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; 26 on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; 27 in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 28 And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches. Have you ever felt this way? God i have faithfully served you for what? Where is GOD in this suffering? Yet Paul says something totally amazing in verse 12. Paul says he learned the SECRET to being content.

John MacArthur provides five principles that will help us cultivate biblical contentment. These points flow from the text of Philippians 4.

1. Contentment comes from a genuine confidence in God’s providence. Note Phil. 4:10, I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity.
It had been 10 years since Paul received his last gift from the Philippians. Paul was confident in God’s sovereignty. He knew how to WAIT on the Lord. Paul thought the best about the Philippian Christians (v.10 “you simply lacked opportunity”). It appears that Paul believed God never providentially made it possible for them to give.

2. Learning to be satisfied with the bare necessities of life. This is the 2nd secret to contentment. It’s easy being a fair-weather Christian. Many in our society are FW Christians. Our faith is truly put on display when we trust God even during trials. This is what separates a true disciple from a false one. (Phil. 1:6). Contentment is not something I can simply teach you. Is something all of us have to LEARN (Verse 11, Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.) Paul said in verse 12, “I know how to get along with humble means…”

It’s easy to live our Christian lives with a sense of entitlement (God owes me good health, home ownership, success at work, Christian children, a fair boss, a happy marriage, etc, etc.). We often say, “God, you meet my every NEED yes, but you’re not meeting my every WANT!” When we compare our situation with that of others, we often get mad at God! Or we become jealous of other people!!! Or we get another credit card and buy what we can’t afford. Debt is often a byproduct of discontentment.

3. True contentment exists independent from our circumstances. Paul said, “In whatsoever circumstances I am, I've learned to be content.” (Phil. 4:11) Paul did not have a victim mentality. He found his greatest joy and pleasure in God. Is this really true of you? What evidences would you give to support your claim? Paul’s faith rested in the character and promises of God not in his earthly circumstances! Observe Philippians 4:11-12, Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.

4. True contentment is sustained by Divine power. Notice, Philippians 4:13, I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

5. True contentment is cultivated when we live for other people. Please observe Philippians 4:14-19, 14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.1 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

***In other words, IF you spend your whole life worrying about you, you'll probably never be content. Life is about God, His Kingdom, the gospel, and others! Giving is a wonderful antidote against the sin of materialism.***

Let’s close by meditating on some inspired words from Deuteronomy 8:11-14 "Take care lest you forget the LORD your God by not keeping his commandments and his rules and his statutes, which I command you today, 12 lest, when you have eaten and are full and have built good houses and live in them, 13 and when your herds and flocks multiply and your silver and gold is multiplied and all that you have is multiplied, 14 then your heart be lifted up, and you forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery…”

2 comments:

Tim Keeter said...

Great thoughts, Caleb. I should be quoting from YOU instead.

For the Master,
Tim Keeter

Caleb Kolstad said...

Tim,

Your resource was very helpful to me. Keep up the faithful ministry!

Caleb