Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Church by C Kolstad

I love serving the body of Jesus Christ. The church after all is the only organization in the New Testament that Jesus promised to bless and to preserve. Consider our Lord’s words in Matthew 16:18, “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.” The true church of God is invincible because Jesus promises to protect it. God’s people belong to a cause that cannot fail. Richard Phillips adds, “No matter what attacks the devil unleashes on the church, the church will always prevail.” This security is bound up in the promise of Christ Himself.

The church belongs to Jesus. It is His church (see Matt. 16:18). He secured the church through his atoning death and resurrection (see Eph. 1:22-23, 5:23-30, 1 Cor 6:20, Acts 20:28). The individual Christian’s invincibility is forged in the sovereignty of God’s protection (Rom 8:28-31); such is true concerning the universal church as well (Matt. 16:18-19).

Most of us love cheering for or playing on winning sports teams. We are much more motivated to be apart of a company that we believe is bound to succeed than to work for one that is failing. That is one of things that is so awesome about Christ’s church; because God is for it, we know it can not fail!

I do not know about you, but this amazing truth motivates me to pour my life, my blood, my sweat, my tears, in short, my all into God’s church. The Lord of the church reminds us of an important principle in Matthew 6:17-20, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” A practical way you can apply this passage is by committing yourself to a local assembly (1 Peter 4:10-11). “If the Lord Jesus Christ cherished the Church so much that He died for her, is it too much for Him to ask His followers to cherish the Church and live for her?” (Joel Beeke)

The New Testament repeatedly emphasizes the importance of the local church (Hebrews 10:24-25). Pastor John MacArthur puts it this way, “Active local church membership is imperative to living a life without compromise. It is only through the ministry of the local church that a believer can receive the kind of teaching, accountability, and encouragement that is necessary for him to stand firm in his convictions.” In the infamous words of Alan Rivers, “What’s your ministry beloved?”

One of my favorite hymns, written in the 1800’s by Timothy Dwight, sums up my heart on this subject very well:

I love Thy kingdom, Lord,
The house of Thine abode,
The church our blessed Redeemer saved
With His own precious blood.
I love Thy church, O God.
Her walls before Thee stand,
Dear as the apple of Thine eye,
And written on Thy hand.

For her my tears shall fall
For her my prayers ascend,
To her my cares and toils be given
Till toils and cares shall end.

“To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.” (Eph 3:20).

No comments: